Thursday, May 15, 2008

For Those of You Just Joining Us . . .

This is the first anniversary of The Bludog Chronicle, a current-events blog that comes out at least a couple of times a week, provided I have something interesting to say. If there is anything this blog has proved in the year since this started, it's that any idiot can write one. In the words of a certain president: Mission accomplished.

You won't find pictures of cute puppies. In fact, you won't see pictures or video of any kind. We're still working on that.

What you will see is my views on what I find interesting. It can be about politics one day, sports the next, and pop culture the next.

I am a writer, not a journalist. For topics, I'll watch TV, read the paper and the news sites like everyone else. This means I don't have to worry about scooping other bloggers and media on big stories, though it would be kind of cool if I did. In other words, I'm not Matt Drudge or Arianna Huffington.

I live in the suburbs of Minneapolis and St. Paul, so I'm more likely to tell you what's going on in my own backyard than comment on the latest political scandal in, let's say, Tumbleweed, Kansas.

In case you're wondering, The Bludog Chronicle is named in honor of a dog I once had named Blu (1984-97), a combination Black Lab and American Water Spaniel. She made a great watchdog and walking companion, but a lousy hunter with a fragile psyche. She was afraid of noises you and I take for granted: a crackling fire, thunderstorms, the hum of a clothes dryer, etc. She ate garbage, ran around the neighborhood choosing not to hear us call (maybe dumped on somebody's lawn), and nipped at those who tried to pet her.

We could have gotten rid of Blu, but we didn't. Why? I've seen and heard too many horror stories of unwanted pets wasting away in a shelter before being put to sleep. I thought Blu deserved a chance, and she got one.

She and this blog have at least one thing in common: Barking and whining in an obnoxious manner to get the point across.

You may not always like what I have to say, and I'm fine with that. I don't have to be right, left or vertical. I just try to say what I think, and be done with it. If you have something to add, please make use of the comment section.

We return you now to our regularly scheduled blog.

No comments:

The 96th Oscars: "Oppenheimer" Wins, And Other Things.

 As the doomsday clock approaches midnight and wars are going in Gaza, Ukraine and elsewhere, a film about "the father of the atomic bo...